Orvieto and Corbara Lake
Suggested itineraries: 3 days/ 2 nights
Day 1 (Orvieto)
Arrival in the afternoon at a MTV Umbria member winery located near Corbara Lake
MTV Umbria winery visit, dinner and accommodations
Day 2 (around Orvieto –Corbara Lake)
Morning free at Corbara Lake, MTV Umbria suggests:
- · The Corbara Lake: is an artificial lake situated in Central Italy, the lake was created in the 1960’s with the construction of the Corbara hydroelectric dam on the Tiber river. Near the lake there are "Vissani", one of the temples of Italian gastronomy and some of the most famous and prestigious wineries of Umbria, members of the Protection Consortium of DOC Corbara Lake.
- · Tiber River Park: since 1990 is a WWF protected area. The park stretches over 7 towns in Province of Terni and also covers the Comunità Montana of Amerino area. In the park there are also archaeological sites near Baschi and Orvieto.
MTV member winery visit in the area of Orvieto – wine tasting and lunch
Free time in Orvieto town - Mtv Umbria suggests :
- · The Dome of Orvieto is the cathedral of the town diocese and a masterpiece of Italian Gothic architecture . The facade is decorated with a great series of bas-reliefs and sculptures by the architect Lorenzo Maitani coming from Siena.
- · Chapel of San Brizio, famous cycle of frescoes of the Last Judgment by Luca Signorelli. Church of St Juvenal
- · City Hall: Built between 1216 and 1219 and renovated by Scalza in the Seventeenth century. The ground floor has 7 rounded arches separated by square pillars. The arches are topped by two rows of windows (7 per floor) with those on the top floor being smaller. To the left of the façade there is a crenellated twelve-sided bell tower of the adjacent Church of St. Andrew.
- · Palazzo del Popolo: This palace is situated in the namesake square and was built at the end of the XIII century. While its origin is debatable many think that it was built on an existing papal palace built in 1157, on the ideation of the Neri della Greca Family.
- · Palazzo Vescovile: It’s the first building leaving the Dome heading to the right. It was built in the 977 by Benedetto VII at the church of Santa Maria Prisca whose entrance is assumed to be the door on the right side of the Dome, the so-called Porta Soliana. The Popes who lived there gradually enriched and expanded it with new rooms. Inside of particular importance and interest was a chapel with pointed arches, of which today only ruins remain. Outside, there are double lancet windows and oval triple lancet windows that are located on the side facing the square and on the side of the gardens of the palace. In some rooms of the ground floor there is the National Archeological Museum that houses the "Golini tombs" I and II from the IV century B.C.
Dinner and Accommodation: Town of Orvieto
Day 3 (Orvieto)
· Orvieto: Visit to an oil mill member of Strade del Vino e dell’Olio dell’Umbria www.stradevinoeolio.umbria.it