Torgiano / Deruta
Suggested itineraries: 3 days/ 2 nights
Day 1 (Torgiano)
Arrival in the afternoon at a MTV Umbria member winery located in Torgiano
MTV Umbria winery visit, dinner and accommodations
Day 2 Torgiano)
Morning free time in Torgiano center. Mtv Umbria suggests:
- · Wine Museum: Created in 1974 by Giorgio Lungarotti, one of the patriarchs of Italian oenology , and curated by his wife and art historian Maria Grazia Marchetti. The museum is housed in the 17th century Palazzo Graziani-Baglioni in the rooms once used for storage of agricultural commodities and is considered one of the most important museums of its kind in Italy . It is run, with the Olive and Oil Museum, by the Lungarotti Foundation, an institution that deals with the enhancement of agricultural Italian culture through research, exhibitions, conferences, and publishing initiatives.
- · Olive and Oil Museum: Run and lovingly maintained by the Lungarotti Foundation, the Olive and Oil Museum was opened to the public in 2000. Along with the Wine Museum it is included in the Museum System of Umbria
- The Castle of Rosciano once called Russanum, Rescanum, Recsano and Rusciano, is located in the village Signoria, near Torgiano. The castle, built on an Etruscan then later a Roman site, was destroyed by Totila in 548, and was considered unassailable in the Middle Ages.
MTV member winery visit in the area of Torgiano – wine tasting and lunch
Transfer to Deruta:
- · The Pinacoteca Comunale of Deruta is located in the fourteenth-century Palazzo dei Consoli, along with the Regional Museum of Ceramics, are the town museums. The collection is rich and diverse and after the recent restoration, the exhibition has been revised and expanded. The first floor houses works from the local churches of San Francesco and Sant'Antonio Abate. The fresco by Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino (Eternal and the Holy Romano and Rocco), two works by Niccolò di Liberatore called Aunno (Madonna dei Consoli and Gonfalone of Sant'Antonio Abate) and Messale Francescano on a thirteenth century parchment and are of great artistic interest.
On the upper floor there is Lione Pascoli collection, which was acquired in 1931 by donation and consists of about 40 paintings. Among the works, all highly representative of the early Eighteenth century Roman collecting (the minor genres, bambocciate, still lives, landscapes, battles are widely present), paintings by Giovanni Battista Gaulli said Baciccio, Antonio Amorosi, Francesco Trevisani, Sebastiano Conca, Francesco Graziani and Pieter Van Bloemen. ·
- For more than 500 years ago, the U.Grazia Maioliche di Deruta carries lovingly on a tradition to maintain high interest in the world for this valuable product. The Grazia company is known and famous not only for the high quality of its production but also for the richness and vastness of the decorations and the infinite possibilities of personalization. They produce tableware and decorative objects with initials, family crests and countless combinations of colors to match any taste and need. The importance of their tradition was also celebrated in the prestigious British magazine 'The Economist', which drafted a global ranking of still operating family firms : in this list the company Grazia is at the 13th position. Our products are in the most exclusive houses in the world.
Dinner and Accommodation: Town of Deruta
Day 3 (Torgiano – Deruta)
· Torgiano: Visit to an oil mill member of Strade del Vino e dell’Olio dell’Umbria www.stradevinoeolio.umbria.it