The Castello della Sala, built in 1350 by Angelo Monaldeschi della Vipera, lies northwest of Orvieto. Later it was purchased by the Marquis Niccolò Antinori. The company is situated within the medieval fortress and today, the estate covers a total area of 1359 acres, of which 395 are vineyard. The soil is clayey of volcanic and sedimentary origin and rich in Pliocene fossils. The wines produced from this vineyard, are from one of the most renowned wineries in the area, they are top quality wines, like the excellent Il Cervaro della Sala wine.
For the tourist
The ageing technique of the wines is particularly interesting, where the process of fermentation takes place in French oak barrels. The barrels can be found in the medieval cellar, 30 feet below the castle, dating back to the fourteenth century. Castello della Sala also produces goats cheese and extra virgin olive oil. The Antinori estates are open to the public for visits and for wine tasting. Direct sale points have been opened. Wine is for sale from Monday to Friday at the Winery and Saturday at the Castle.
- Umbria IGT “Cervaro della Sala”
- Umbria IGT Muffato della Sala
- Umbria Pinot Nero IGT
- Umbria IGT“Bramito del Cervo”
- Orvieto Classico Superiore DOC “San Giovanni della Sala”
- Umbria IGT “Conte della Vipera”
- Orvieto Classico Superiore DOC “Campogrande” (Etichetta Antinori)
- Orvieto Classico Superiore DOC “Casasole” (Etichetta Santa Cristina).
Goats Cheese, Extra virgin Olive Oil